Saturday, September 06, 2008

Lor 27 Geylang Road



Place of Reminiscence:
The backlane behind the shophouses along Lor 27 Geylang Road is where I used to spend most of my childhood in as I stayed in one of the shophouse apartment, and studied in Geylang Methodist Primary School which was located nearby.

This particular backlane is always bustling with activities, be it the morning crowd from the little market stall at the edge of the backlane workers handling the ingredients at the back of the shop, shopkeepers hiding behind to enjoy a little time-out or lunch, or simply the passer-by who uses the backlane to go from one point to the other; not to mention the services that is installed behind. It used to be much cooler in the day and the backlane acting as a shady and chill alternative for the pedestrians but with the installation of all the services and machinery, the heat is seemingly unbearable these days.

There used to be a lot of stray cats at the backlane and there would be a nice petite lady who feed them during dinner. Thus I'll play with the cats whenever I'm on the way home from school and I'll then take a detour towards the backlane or whenever I feel like it.

I'm no longer staying around this area but this area is definitely the best growing-up memories I had of authentic Singapore and where I had experienced the lifestyle of a bona fide Singaporean then.

Tan Lee Hua

No comments: