Monday, October 13, 2008

Bukit Merah Childhood


Bukit Merah was where I spent most of my childhood before moving to my present place. The Town Central was located just a minute’s walk away from my place and had many facilities such as a bus terminal, supermarket, hawker centre, polyclinic, bank, post office and library. Not only was it accessible in terms of public transport, but also the proximity of the facilities made it possible to run many errands within a short time.

I remember the times spent walking within the Town Central, having a meal, accompanying my mother to the bank, buying groceries, posting letters and even going to the doctor’s when I felt unwell. However, one activity that I particularly enjoyed was going to the library, borrowing books and watching librarians stamp the multiple borrow slips and scanning the library cards. The library has undergone a renovation since then and some parts of it have changed but visiting it always brings back fond memories.

On a macro scale, the Town Central was planned as a courtyard-like setting, with 4-storey rows of buildings enclosing the space, thus providing an intimate feel. Where the human traffic is most on the first storey, there is no blockage, especially the hawker centre, which allows a constant breeze as well as sufficient light to enter. Along the wide open passageways, trees were planted intermittently which provide shade without cluttering the pathways. This probably accounts for the relatively cool temperature and breeze as well as the visual treats of the landscaping.

Even up till today, my family and I would still visit the place since it is so accessible, and the comfort of walking around while running our errands makes it a pleasure to do so.

Yeo Kee Aik Shaun

No comments: