Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Botanic Gardens


Everyday on my way to the University, I pass by the Botanic Gardens and I kept wondering what’s beneath that nice looking pitch roof with plants on top of it that was not there before when I was younger. So, I decided to spend my Sunday visiting back one of my favourite places in Singapore.
That Sunday, walking towards the Botanic Gardens, I kept pondering to myself, what could it be under it . . . a café or just simply a pavilion for visitors to rest. As I move towards the building, I was somewhat disappointed. It was a Visitor’s Centre filled with tourists. No place for me to spend my afternoon. Then I discovered beneath the Visitor’s Centre is a food court. Excited, I went there but to my dismay, it was air-conditioned. Not only that, the new shelter leading towards the Visitor’s Centre is made of glass supported by steel structure that made the place even warmer.
But I have to say that by introducing the greens above the roof of the Visitor’s Centre does help bring down the temperature within the building in comparison to the temperature around the new landscape.
As I move deeper into the garden, I sat under the tree and gazed upon the man-made lake and it gave me a sense of nostalgia. I also felt cooler sitting under the tree than sitting on the benches around the new landscape. But I believe the new landscape will be a nice place too when the new-planted trees have grown in the future. To me, the Botanic Gardens is like a sanctuary to get away from the hecticness of the city.

Harvey Lukman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The last time I visited the Botanic Garden was a few years back. Although I had been to it for only a couple of times, the memories are still fresh in my mind.
It was my Art teacher who brought me there the 1st time. We were there to do some landscape paintings. It was really peacefull and I was able to concentrate on my painting. I saw tourists and others enjoying their leisure walk, taking photographs, getting informations from the info centre, children playing around the pond, etc.
It was and i'm sure it still is a wonderful place for nature lovers. A break from the concrete masses and truely a place to enjoy.

Phyo