Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Singapore Art Museum (SAM)

Zaha Hadid’s, Auguste Rodin’s, Botero’s,
Georgette Chen’s works above.


Singapore Art Museum. I have always loved the feeling of walking along the sunlight colonial-architecture corridors and envisaging myself in the footsteps of those lucky students back in those days. Having almost claimed the SAM as my second home when I was back in secondary school and Junior College doing museum guiding, researching, and exhibiting my artwork, I nevertheless would find excitement in each time I visit the place. As I entered what used to be classrooms I think, I always looked forward to satisfying my eyes with art paintings, installations, ideas, concepts. I could almost remember the placement of artworks, as they don't change the permanent collections often. Yet, the placements of changing exhibits every now and then, that laid placed conspicuously or humbly in every nook and cranny is an exploration that I look forward to each time. The interaction of the exhibition walls and spaces with the artworks, how huge works fit into small spaces, or how artists “intervened” in the spaces are questions that I ask. As Frank Lloyd Wright has it, “Space is the breath of art”.

The conservation of the place that led to the installation of glass panels allowing air-conditioning to control the humidity of air in order to prevent degradation of artworks is one that is commendable. For one, I am able to look out of the corridor into the spaces beyond SAM, the buildings surrounding it and the activities of people below. Also, the transparency enables me to see the continuity of artworks and individual exhibition area. The interchanging spaces provided by the courtyard and spiral stairs add to the beauty of each threshold of spaces. My only reservation is that I wished they were able to include natural lighting (diffused) in the galleries, although I know it’s a hard practice even in many of the prominent art museums.

Nevertheless, it is indeed a weekend escape for me! :)

Lee Hui Lian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woah ! Estoy realmente amar la plantilla / tema de este bitácora .

Es simple, pero eficaz . Muchas veces es muy difícil duro para
conseguir ese " equilibrio perfecto " entre excelente facilidad de uso
y atractivo visual . Debo decir que has Tiene
has hecho un impresionante gran trabajo con esto .
Adicionalmente , las cargas de blogs muy extremadamente
rápido para mí en Chrome . Destacado Blog !


Feel free to surf to my blog post: Main Page