Friday, October 27, 2006

. . . blank . . .



Feelings, memories, and thoughts... All these things come into my mind like a storm as I ask myself about the favorite place I have ever been to. The universe is so big, that it's impossible to know which place is the one. Maybe, somewhere in the future, the best places will come up as the worst ones; or sometimes, millions of people have the same favorite places. In this situation that it has to be about a place in Singapore, which means I should only choose one of those few places I have been to since I came here.
So far as I know, the place I always think of and want to see is my home… maybe it is the natural wish in every human to long for and direct toward somewhere familiar. There you find the peace in your mind and a feeling of belonging.
This picture of a courtyard garden somehow gives me a rather close feeling. Locating on the way from MRT station to terminal 2 in Changi airport, it is the image I would see the first or the last through every flight back home or returning to Singapore. Like there is a friend who will always be there waiting for you though you don’t see her at all time.
For each time passing by it I would stop without a special reason. Standing there looking at it through a large curtain of glass, I couldn’t walk in to see it closer although I really wanted to, afraid to somehow break that beautiful moment. The “white water” seems like coming from nowhere as a tall dark wall suddenly appears in the “higher up” white sky and becomes the water carpet. Trees keep on swinging in the air when the water flows out of the vertical wall and starts bobbing on a horizontal plane under their feet. They altogether look like a moving picture without any sound. As if it wants so much to scream out or in fact it is screaming so loud inside. I keep on wondering what it may talk to me…
It is natural that sometimes there is a “green space” in the heart of a busy city, like a blank in your mind to relax from all the thinking and feeling.

Nguyen Thi Thuy Trang

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's really beautiful...