Monday, October 23, 2006

National Library Building (Central Lending Library at Basement 1)


This place is a sanctuary for me to just leave my worries behind and be lost in the books (mostly comics and novels). I find this place special because once I enter the space, I can feel my burden from the outside world being lifted and all that I am left with are my pure self and my ability to imagine and dwell in the books. Why is this so? I think that when the entire space is at the basement, my visual connection to the outside world, the streets, the cars, the buildings and the noises etc is blocked and all that I could see are the books, the two outdoor gardens and my fellow readers. I particularly like to position myself beside or even lean against one of the glass panels when I am reading, it gives me a special sense of being in that place while my thoughts flee from that area to a wider surrounding through the glass. When I am in this place, I feel protected, secure and I could think of anything without being interrupted, unless, when the library is about to close and I need to decide which book I should borrow.

Leong Mun Chun

No comments: