Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Seats at Holland Village


Evening breezes slink down the quiet street, shrubs strung with fairy lights shuddering in their wake. Feel the cool touch of polished wood beneath my palms. Draw my legs up under me; nobody's watching.
Above, the night sky with its pin pricks of light; in the distance, the sounds of merry-making.
Savor the night, in company or solitude.
Bringing a meal out to eat under the open sky is my main memory of this place. The things I enjoy most about this little corner near Holland Village are factors that are present in many of my favorite places: a sense of peace, greenery, the proximity of good food and other essential amenities, and last but not least, a comfortable place to sit.
A place where one can be alone but not feel too lonely.
It is modest; just a few benches on a raised concrete pavement, protected from the elements by a retractable canopy, with only the creepers climbing alongside for ornament. But this is enough.

Li Miaoling

No comments: