Thursday, October 05, 2006

Potong Pasir


Food attracts me to places. Here lies one of Singapore’s last stands of ‘old’ places, Potong Pasir (thanks to Mr. Chiam See Tong). Located amongst an area of private houses are these shophouse look-alikes. It occupies only a small area though. What is left are various shops like provision shops or small warehouses and of course a good number of coffeeshops and a hawker centre. Besides good food here like prawn mee, mince meat noodles and crabs (you got to try them though), I love this neighbourhood. Though I do not live there, I frequent the area…to eat, but it never fails to make me feel so at home. The uncluttered five foot way finally feels like a five foot way. Being the only pavement to walk around, I guess everyone loves the shade that it provides so do I and I simply appreciate it, yes appreciate. Though eating here is a tad hot but I just love the contrast of shade and the afternoon sun, I love the occasional breeze if fresh air, I love the smell of food the floats through the street, I love the sound of cooking and cars passing by. There are no squeaky white tiles, tables and chairs that make the food seem pale in comparison. No Bright white lights and no cool and comfortable enclosed spaces that takes away the smell and aroma of the food. I feel natural here. I guess that is my take on the “tropical feeling”. It reminds me of who I am and where am I, a form of identity, somewhere I truly belong.

Lloyd Ng

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi I am just wondering if this place still exists? or was it modernized already? I couldn't seem to find it on google map.