Monday, October 30, 2006

Domes @ Old Supreme Court




It was amazing when I started studying the floor plan of the old Supreme Court last semester and found out that there were actually two domes in Supreme Court. Besides the taller one we usually see from the outside, there is actually another one hiding inside the building - the library. After visiting the interior of the Supreme Court, the two domes officially became my favorite place.
The most wonderful thing was when I stepped into the two domes was the experience of the light and shadow inside the domes. The blue sky outside the windows which surrounded the library dome left with me endless wonder, and the sunlight shined into the empty huge steel structure made me feel empty yet full. Empty in hands, but full with intangibles.
Another amazing experience was climbing up the spiral staircase into the huge dome. It was hard to imagine that such a huge dome, the only accessible route was this narrow spiral staircase. While I was climbing I raised my head, and saw the little blue from the hole that the staircase was leading to, was truly touched. How amazing the nature could sneak into every space that we had been trying to create, intentionally, or unintentionally by us. Even in this huge artificial form, somehow a symbol of a period of human history, which was full of sentiments and traces of human beings, the nature, could play a part. It is changing thing in this permanent still structure, yet it permanently exists.

Song Xiaoxing

No comments: