Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Pearlbank Apartment
A spectacular Residential Complex since 1970s

I have noticed this unique skyscraper (although it was heavily criticised for being an eyesore sometimes ago) when I was taking SBS bus 33 passing-by Chinatown area 4 years ago when I was just came over to Singapore for my tertiary education. The slender and curve look of the building which sit on top of Pearl Hill gave me the mysterious feeling when I viewed it from the street level. Pearbank private apartment which was completed its construction in 1976, is designed by Tan Cheng Siong of Archurban Architects and Planners. At the time of its completion, being Singapore’s tallest and most dense residential complex, it was hailed as a feat of design and construction. In 2001, the Singapore Institute of Architects (SIA) recognized the design merits of the building, and declared it a "Singapore Housing Icon".
I have never expect that there was a chance for me to get into this significant building (strict security nowadays) until I was designated with the task to help my attached company to do the Baseline Calculation of the whole building in August last year. I visited the building for 3 times, analysed the apartment from the basement carpark to the penthouses which spread from level 36 to 38. I went into the 4 different types of units in this apartment, with photo and on-site measurement; I fully understand the combination of the individual cubes that juxtaposed and interlocking one another. A circle of shops and management and security offices filled the ground level. One particular provision shop’s décor (or lack thereof) will surely bring you back down memory lane to the 1970s.

The building looks very linear and defined from the exterior view, but the internal space is so complicated that I need to spend days to fully understand the flow of levels within the building before I actually get down to the site. All the units in the building are multi split level (like a maze I feel) offering unique generous spaces in a splayed trapezoid shape. The suspended staircase from every units not only act as a 2nd escape either from upper or lower level of the unit, but also act as a feature that contributes to the façade design of Pearlbank. I doubt the external staircase is up to current BCA rules and regulation. I feel so nervous when I walked on the suspended staircase. I was very concentrating on my every single step (about 200mm for the tread where current regulation is min 225mm) when I used that to go down to the lower level or else it might trap and fall......(not the lower floor, but ground floor….imagine walking down the suspended staircase from 25th to 24th story, quite scary!!)

Looking back again the Peralbank Apartment today, although those paint on its walls area really showing its age, I still feel it stands majestically!!!

Tan Kok Ming

No comments: