Saturday, October 28, 2006

Kent Ridge Park















Not many people visit Kent Ridge Park maybe due to its location being away from the city and its dense vegetation. However, this is one of my favourite places and I think it would be too for most nature lovers. It reminds me of Singapore’s history and the nature that still exists in Singapore’s concrete urban jungle. Although it is not the highest point in Singapore, once on top of the park, there is a sense of conquer, superior and dominant. At the same time, the closeness to the sky and the openness of the area makes one feel intimidated and small amidst the trees and vegetations.
The serenity and secrecy of the place makes one feel relax and calm. It is an interesting and quiet space where one is able to listen to the sounds of insects, birds and trees. At night, one can view the city from afar, feel the light breeze on the skin, and smell the air and nature. It is a place to unwind, away from the hustle and bustle of the city and where I can spend some quality time with my close friends. My only fear will be when the new circle line and other future developments are built around the place. Having new architectural interventions will disrupt the ambience and the secrecy of Kent Ridge Park. Thus, I strongly encourage those have not been there to visit the park.



Azizah Bte Sudar

No comments: