Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Chinatown


There are many interesting places in Singapore that I personally like to visit. However if I were to quote a place that left deep impression in me, it would be the place that is not foreign to a lot of us- Chinatown. Having chosen this place as my topic of my essay assignment for history some time ago, I was given the chance to circulate and understand the space and culture of Chinatown in detail. I personally like the unique qualities of shophouses and the sight of so many different types of shophouses existing within a single street of Chinatown is truly a beautiful sight. Through the shophouses, some refurbished while some remained in their old and run-down state, young generations like us are able to appreciate the quality of coexistence between the old and new.
With Singapore's initiative in making CHinatown a heritage destination especially for tourist, I feel that this definitely brought forth a lot more crowd to the place. The refurbishing of the streets often not only attracted tourists but also us Singaporean as well. Their are few things that I particularly liked about CHinatown; for example the heritage centre along pagoda street, specially set aside for vistors to know about the past of CHinatown, and also the food street set up ( hmmm not sure of the street name) to provide the experience of eating along the streets that is not unfamiliar to the older generation.
Chinatown is the place where history unveils and I am sure there are still many interesting things that I have yet to notice about the place. Perhaps I should visit Chinatown more during my free time and discover new layers of chronological findings!

Ho Han Nee Glenda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one place in which displays both the history and heritage of singapore through its shop houses, markets and vibrancy. At the same time, modernization blend in so seamlessly through its high rise buildings, modern infrastructures.

If there is to be a place and only one place in which I were to introduce to someone who wish to know more about Singapore, Chinatown would definitely be a place worth exploring... Not just from an Architectural perspective but also the way in which its special idendity and history behind this old town...

Well written article... Keep it up...

Unknown said...

COOL stuff there.China's stuff right

world best places said...

singapore is one of interesting places to visit in asia. I like your info about places of interest in singapore country and i wait you writing other info about singapore