Saturday, November 04, 2006

Labrador Park
A place of sacred peace.


When I first stepped into Labrador Park three years back with my mum, I was struck by the unscathed tranquility. There weren’t many people around there then as it’s existance was still unknown to many. I found my way to the coast and it was a relief to find the sea water clear enough to see the rocks below the waves. There, you’ll only hear the orchestra of the cicadas, the waves and the ocassional ships passing by. Coupled with the wind in the hair and the smell of the fresh, it was the perfect getaway, the oasis from the city life. All this is found right at the fringe of Singapore. When I was sitting at the jetty, I promised myself that I will return to this haven whenever I have the time. However, that was my first and last time there.
Three years later, in my second year of architecture, during one of the studio sessions, my tutor proposed a few sites for our upcoming project. And one of them was labrador park. When he asked if anyone has any preferences, everyone kept quiet. I tried to be cool in the beginning, keeping the silence, but the benson within me was shouting out “YOU IDIOT! SPEAK UP!!!”

“I propose that we choose labrador park as our site…”

My comment sliced the silence. And I proceeded on describing the place to the rest of my studio mates as most of them have never stepped into that sanctury before. I couldn’t help but lost myself admist the desccription. I know that I have to get that site for my project. Thankfully, my little speech managed to sway more than half of my studio mates in my favour. *Whew*
My second trip there, after 3 long years, was with the entire studio, including the tutor. The place was sort of “modified” by the government with pavilions, a huge exercising area that took up 1/6 of the whole coastal area, and a stragely designed playground that’s supposed to stimulate the WW2. The serenity of the place is now being challenged with these alien forces. Thankfully, the governmenr recognises the weight of the rocky beach and hence, the park and the beach was still kept in a pretty good condition.
Now that I’m back to asylum, I made every effort to frequent the place. Subsequently, the walk from the main road in and out has become part of the ritual of the entire trip. All I hope now is that the calm of the entire park will remain for everyone else who needs a refuge.

Heng Guan Hong

No comments: