Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hwa Chong Junior College


I guess my feelings towards Hwa Chong Junior College are rather mixed, having spent a good two years of my life schooled there. But the memories that I have collected from these premises are indelible, many of them beautiful and treasured. It was here where I forged new friendships and strengthened old ones, learnt lessons the hard way, and truly understood the importance of cherishing what you have in such a short period of your life. These photos were taken when I returned for our annual Mid-Autumn Festival Celebrations last year, and a walk through the school brought back the feelings of what it’s like to be a ‘uniform-ed’ student (and the thought that you could never be one again). When I visited these spaces, memories of the times spent came back at an instance: the canteen – its mad-rush and endless queues and queue-cutters); the central plaza – where we assembled every morning with reluctance and organized activities with enthusiasm; the class benches – where we mugged and gossiped and played poker illegally… These were the simple spaces that students utilized everyday and made the most out of, gathering and bonding at the same time. It was not until I left the school that on hindsight, I realized the kind of affinity I grew to have with these places. The school might have changed its name, but I guess it’s reassuring to know that these spaces which gave us our fond memories are here to stay, at least for now.

Zhang Shuhan

No comments: