Saturday, November 04, 2006

School on a hill: St Nicholas Girls School


My old school holds many fond memories for me, having spent more then a decade studying there. The whole school, situated on a hill, is very near the central water catchment area. This could probably be the reason why it was usually quite cooling. One of the things firmly etched in my memories is the beautiful high ceiling spaces that are all around the school. The whole feeling of airiness and sunlit spaces accompanied me in all my schooling days. Not to forget were all the endless plants and flowers that defined the surroundings. Every classroom had its own balcony that each class was supposed to decorate. Pots and pots of bougainvilleas were placed in the balcony and along the corridor. I always sat near the corners of the class so that I can gaze out (either the courtyard or garden) and daydream.
Perhaps one of the best places in St Nicks is the spectators stand. Sitting there early in the morning watching the sky turn gradually from dark blue to light was a daily enjoyment just before school assembly. Evenings were also a beautiful sight, witnessing the sky turn from a hue of pink to a golden orange. The sense of serenity around the whole place is something not commonly found everywhere where places are either bustling with activities or just too quiet and cold. Another spectacular place in the school was the sunken forum. There is nothing that can describe the feeling of sitting on a railing under a high ceiling and watching lightning bolt across the sky in the dark night. It was an odd feeling of both security and excitement as it seemed as though the lightning can strike us any moment, and yet know that a ceiling is protecting us all the while. St. Nicks was a truly wonderful place where I grew up in. It is just too bad that the school will be rebuilt in a few years time. I guess I will just go back one of these days to take more photos of it to store in my memory before it is gone.

Regina Yeo

No comments: