Saturday, November 04, 2006

Little India

Little India, the exotic piece of land in Singapore that represents the Indian community in Singapore. To some people, it may just be one of the many tourist hubs that we have in Singapore; to others, it may be a gathering space for them to meet up with their friends every weekend. However, to me, Little India is a special place in my heart. This is because I have been residing here for the past 20 years. I have watched the place metamorphosized from being a weekly communal space for the foreign Indian workers to congregate to a vibrant tourist attraction that now, not only does it have the second biggest wet market in Singapore, it even has its own shopping mall, shopping arcade, and mega supermarket as well! The thing about Little India that touches me the most is the sense of nostalgia that never fails to makes me reminisce the years that have past in my life. Yes, Little India is indeed a visual gift, a once in a lifetime cultural experience, a sight to behold. But to me, the smells of frangipani, blasting of Hindi music, the palatable taste of Thosai and prata, epitomizes the definition of home.

Eugene Lau

No comments: